jessicaaa

As noted in the lecture, throughput basically depends on the slower pace, which is the dryer in this example. While throughput increases, the latency remains unchanged in this case.

pslui88

A helpful way to determine throughput is to simply ask yourself "How often is work completed?". Here, every hour, a load of laundry is completed, so throughput is 1 load/hour.

suninhouse

1 load/hour is based on the observation that starting from the 2nd hour, every hour there is a load finished. But would it also be reasonable to compute throughput including the first hour? For example, in the first 5 hours, there are 4 loads finished, so the throughput would instead be 0.8 load/hour? I don't think this is correct because I think throughput calculation probably would let the number of hours approach infinity?

It also appears that the distance between washer and dryer would become larger until it converges to a certain constant.

So what would be the most rigorous way of calculating throughput in this case? Or am I missing something simple?

anon33

I think this relates to the notion of "effective throughput" on slide 26. It would be correct to say that to complete the first 4 loads the effective throughput is 0.8 load / hr. To say throughput without the qualifier "effective" means letting the period approach infinity.

SebL

Here it takes 6 hours to finish 5 loads, but apart from the first round, each additional load takes 1 extra hour, so the throughput is 1 load per hour. Imagine that we have infinite loads, the final throughput will converge to this value.

suninhouse

To follow up on my own comments: in calculating throughput, we are typically taking the number of clocks approaching infinity. Or more simply put, we should ignore the constant overhead at the start.